Friday, November 9, 2012

Flashback Friday-Fruit Roll-Ups

I have an addiction to candy.  Seriously.  I love candy like a fat kid, and I consider myself to be a candy connoisseur.  Anything sour that will eventually lead to the ripping and disintegrating of my taste buds is awesome.  Starburst are awesome, Sweet Tarts are awesome….I could go on and on.  I am not a big chocolate or cake kind of person.  Give me a bag of Sour Patch Kids and I am good to go.

But this is all about one candy today, and that is the fantastic Fruit Roll-Up.



My love affair with Fruit Roll-Ups……

When I was a little girl, my mom never let me eat sugar.  She used to pick me up from my grandma’s and would find me sneaking Circus Peanuts (so gross, by the way) under the table, like a little mouse.  I once tricked my grandpa into buying me Fruit Roll-Ups when I was a little girl.  I said “My mom always buys me TWO boxes…” and he fell for it, or he simply felt sorry for me because I never got sugar.

When I was five, I won a scholarship to go to Suzuki camp, for violin.  Suzuki teaches kids how to play music by ear.  Anyway, I remember nothing about it except that I was there alone with my mom and I knew that something was wrong.  I didn’t know at the time, but she was divorcing my dad.  The reason I knew that there was something big going on was because she bought me as many boxes of Fruit Roll-Ups as I wanted, and I ate them any time I damn well pleased. 

When I was in high-school, a boy I dated sent me flowers, but instead of flowers, they were Fruit Roll-Ups on green “stems”.  It was the best.  It was very sweet, and very creative. 

About the Fruit Roll-Up…..

Here are a few things that suck about the new ones…..

1.      The cut-outs.  They used to be one smooth, silky surface.  I liked it that way.
2.      They don’t make grape anymore.
3.      They make “multi-colored” ones, and they just aren’t that great.  My tongue is very confused by the tie-dye monstrosity.
4.      The “tattoo” ones…Suck.


5.      The mini ones….Suck. That’s like giving King Kong an ant to eat. 


Ways I’ve learned to eat a Fruit Roll-Up…..

1.      Crumple it up and stuff the entire thing into your mouth.
2.      Take little baby bites.
3.      Fold it into a nice, geometric shape, like a triangle or a square first and then take bites.
4.      Wrap it around your pointer finger and suck on it.
5.      Roll it up like a stick and eat it.

See, I just never grew up.  You should see me bite the heads off of my Gummy Bears……very methodically.

Have a WONDERFUL weekend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment