Saturday, November 10, 2012

Curiosity

I am so interested in the idea of curiosity, hence my obsession with Alice in Wonderland. It is the seeking of information, trivial or not, good or bad, healthy or poisonous.  It is such an innocent and naive quality.  Where I am most interested is that in the pursuit of being curious, you essentially become less innocent because you gain knowledge about the world.  Then I think about how education sets you free....free from ignorance and poverty and so many other things.  Does it rob your bliss?

I don't know many people who ever regret becoming wiser, even if knowledge isn't blissful, except maybe cowards or really boring and stupid people.  I'm not sure that anyone truly wants to go back to black and white once they see color.  You definitely become a better person through knowledge.  Think of all of the stupid, ignorant, racist, evil people who destroy the world because they live in their little blissful world.  Knowledge is good for sure.  Anyway, it's an interesting paradox, one that goes all the way back to the Garden of Eden.  I believe that we were built to be curious creatures.  We are all curious by nature.

My sister-in-law once told me that her uncle said to be careful while educating yourself because you risk losing your soul.....That freaked me out because I am very curious.  Then I thought about it again and the more curious I am and the more I seek information, the more I understand others and become an even better person.  So does curiosity kill the cat?  Or does the cat save his lives by knowing to dodge trucks and dogs? I guess it depends on what you're curious about. 

So think about it.  If you saw in black and white and then all of a sudden you learned what color was, would you want to go back to black and white?   Think about "The Wizard of Oz".  Isn't it so much better when the creepy Munchkins come out in color?   Or is it just me?


It all started here.
Hmmmm, this looks interesting.
Kansas sucks.
Really?
Pandora and her box....we've all been there.
Labyrinth

No comments:

Post a Comment