Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Lone Ant

You have to get to know a house.  There is absolutely no way to find the quirkiness of a house before living in it, which is why it's kind of a blessing that I get to rebuild mine.  I get to change some of the things I hated.  Like for example, I have always wanted to move a light fixture in the kitchen over about a foot.  It didn't make any sense where it was and now it will.  I have been in my rental house for about a month now.  It has been a blessing in so many ways, including that its owner is a wonderful lady and I adore her.  The house has been perfect, however, I have noticed a phenomenon occurring in my bathroom.

Every time I go to the sink to brush my teeth or wash my face, I notice that there is always one ant on the counter.  Never two, never four, always one.  Only one, every single time.  Every time I see the one ant, I squish it and make sure it goes down the drain and drowns, so I know it isn't the same ant coming back.  I have a scenario in my head that goes something like this: The ants are all hiding somewhere and there's something going on wherever they are.  They want to leave, but they can't because they would get caught by their captors.  Maybe it's even that they see me coming in to brush my teeth, so they figure they shouldn't all die at once.  Instead, they send one ant out at a time to test the safety of the situation.  Maybe what I don't see is that the captive ants are one by one getting to where they are going while I am gone and I am really only catching the poor ant who was in the middle of his travel to the Promised Land.  The only thing wrong with that theory is that the Lone Ant always looks confused, aimlessly wandering the bathroom counter as if it's a desert.  You'd think if ants were smart enough to concoct a plan like this, then they would know where the hell they were going.  The only other thing that's wrong with my theory is that this is real life and not a Disney movie. 

I don't really know where the ant comes from, but it's always there.  Here's a picture of the one I killed this morning while I was brushing my teeth:


RIP, Lonely Ant



No comments:

Post a Comment