Thursday, October 16, 2014

Ebola, ISIS and Xanax



Why does everyone need to chill the F out? Because you're freaking me out. That's why. 

have been up since 3:30 Googling the latest news on ISIS and Ebola because I woke up from a nightmare; I won't terrify you with the details but I will tell you that they weren't much different than the details of the other horrific nightmares I've had all week. I thought that digging for facts at 3 am would make me feel better rather than doing what I've been doing, which is digging my head in the sand and unfortunately still seeing crap on Facebook from those who are choosing to be informed. I was wrong. I don't feel better. I feel the same because our government is incompetent and lies to us and whether I choose to be ignorant or informed, it really doesn't matter because they're still incompetent and lie to us. Ignorance is only bliss if you don't know you're ignorant, so this doesn't really work for me because I know that the people leading us are apparently morons.  

And the anxiety is real...

I was at a charity walk on Saturday in Atlanta and I thought "I'm in a large group of people, I hope a bomb doesn't go off."  Then two nights ago, my boys started sneezing and coughing so I panicked yesterday morning because I thought of Enterovirus 68. I kept them home so I could make sure they were okay. After a hot shower and blowing their noses, I turned out to be the overbearing, neurotic mother who checked them in late.  And it's not just that. Every time I sneeze, cough or have a hunger pain, I think "Oh no, I have Ebola".  I will say, the only thing that's good about worrying about Ebola is that it makes ISIS less scary. I've actually been thinking things like "at least your death with ISIS would be quicker than your death from Ebola." 

I'm trying to be logical and manage my anxiety....now that's sad.

Typically I handle my anxiety from the news by letting everyone else worry and panic and by choosing to be a narcissist because it seems easier to worry about the things that are directly affecting me (my job, my bills, my tasks, the kids).  I usually say to myself "when it's your time, it's your time, Brittany, don't stress," but lately it's not working for whatever reason. I am never hungry, I'm not sleeping, and as much as I want to yell "Be cool, my babies, be cool" like Conan, I am not. I had the flu twice last year. Ebola? Awwww hell no! I've told my friends to just shoot me if I contract Ebola.

I've been thinking about exit strategies. I've been considering getting passports for myself and for the kids so that if there is a terrorist attack, we could go somewhere safe, but then my fears of contracting Ebola on the plane on the way there kind of outweigh my ISIS fears. What would we do on an island if we all had Ebola? Maybe staying home and buying a gun and shooting a terrorist would be better? I don't know. I've never fired a gun and I doubt that my alarm system will keep me safe.

So anyway.....

Who could benefit from Xanax and the Serenity prayer?  Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would. 


No comments:

Post a Comment