Thursday, September 11, 2014

Top 10 Things You Should Know Before You Date a Single Mother


  1. She doesn't have time to dick around, so take it as a compliment that she is sharing her time with you. My time is precious. Not just my life in general, but my time with and without my children.  I have to squeeze a lot of stuff in when I don't have the kids, whether it's running errands or having fun.  If I were to date, I would ask myself one simple question....."Is he Friday night worthy?" Because that's what it comes down to.  If you are co-parenting, you get every other weekend free to hang out with someone and if you're a new person, you have to compete with those she knows she already likes.  Be worthy or don't bother.  Some mothers get NO time to themselves.  Respect her free time and work around it or it won't work.  Single mothers have to jump through a lot of hoops to make time for a guy, so you should be willing to try and do the same for her.   Know which weekends she has the kids, doesn't have the kids, etc.  
  2. If she's a good mom, accept that you won't be number one. Really think about this one.  Her kids should come first.  You don't want a woman who doesn't put her kids first.  Mothers who don't are flaky.   
  3. She has a lot going on. Just because she isn't texting you every five seconds doesn't mean she doesn't like you.  It means she has more on her plate than she can even describe and she is trying to hold it together and be strong for more than just herself.  You can't get your feelings hurt.  And if she is actually good about getting back to you or texting you or checking in, you mean a lot to her because it isn't an easy thing to do and it takes a lot of effort. If a guy ever gets mad at me for that, he can just pretty much lose my number.  I don't have time for nor do I need another thing to handle and because I am fine alone; I have no problem freeing myself of nuisances. 
  4. She has more to consider before even starting to date you, which means she's already committed more than you might realize. Before a mom goes on a date, she already has in her head what she SHOULD have in her life and obviously she is looking for something, or she wouldn't be going on the date in the first place.  Now sometimes she is looking for "the one" and sometimes she just wants something not complicated and to have fun. Contrary to popular belief, women don't all want marriage and sometimes they've been burned. One thing is for sure though, single moms have learned a lot, they know a lot, chances are they've been through a lot, they have analyzed and considered everything in their life before even meeting you.  Don't shake her world up without consideration if she likes you and continues to see you.  Don't screw around with something precious like a single mother.  She has other people needing her to be at her best.  I don't mean that you have to propose the first night you go out, but what I mean is that you need to understand that she is risking a lot by giving you a chance.  And then there are circumstances where you don't stand a chance to get into her life because she doesn't want anything serious.  It all depends.... 
  5. Not all women who have children are looking to be supported and are not out looking for a daddy.  When I got divorced, everyone said to find someone rich who can afford four kids because a person like that won't care that I have four kids.  I was like "What?  NO! Screw that! I'll do it on my own!"  I don't want something like money to dictate who I love and it shouldn't dictate the way someone feels about me. I want to give myself options and take the load off whoever I end up loving. I'm not backing myself into a corner where I need or have to find someone.  Ok, now that isn't to say that some mothers don't want or need support or to find a daddy and I am not saying that there is anything wrong with this if they want to go that route, but don't assume you know what she wants.  I'm actually offended when a man assumes this. There are some women who are hellbent on doing things themselves, like me.  I always find it humorous when a guy is intimidated that I have four kids.  Sorry, but I do.  I feel like saying "Excuse me, who the hell are you and why are you assuming I would even LET you support me, my children or pay my bills?  Get the F out of here."  Like, way to put the cart before the horse, random person who just met me.  You don't even get to meet my kids, much less help me raise them. THIS, I've got. 
  6. Some mothers have a guard up and it doesn't mean that we are bitches.  There are a lot of freaks out there.  We are protecting more than just ourselves.  Put the time in it takes for us to trust you or just go away.   
  7. Understand her arrangement. For example, my children have a father.  That relationship must be respected and if it isn't, there is no way in hell I will be with you.  That isn't to say that you can't be involved in a mother's life, but you have to consider the situation and be respectful and it's probably going to take time, at least, I think it should.  However, there are a lot of situations where kids don't have fathers at all and if you are the only man present, you are more than likely going to be the dad.  Understand the circumstances.  I also think that people rush things too often.  When there are children involved, people should take their time and use their heads. 
  8. Don't assume there will be drama/be ready to deal with drama. It depends on the situation.  Some parents get along and co-parent well, some don't, sometimes there are just occasions where you have issues.  If you are thinking about getting into a dramatic situation, well, you'd better love that person, that child, and you'd better be stronger or just as strong as the woman.  She's probably needing a break by now.   If you aren't, don't bother.  And if you have met a girl who has a pretty decent situation, well, that's awesome. It makes a world of difference.
  9. Consider that she may or may not want to get married and have children again, or consider the fact that she does.  Don't neglect that conversation.  It's important to know where you both stand on that before anyone gets attached. 
  10. Good mothers know about unconditional love. This is perhaps the single most awesome thing about being with a GOOD mother. Having a child changes you because you learn about patience and love.  We know how to love unconditionally.  If we weren't nurturing before, we are now.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment