Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Domino Effect-Making Time For You

Do you remember a while back when I posted about the "No Excuses" mom?  Then there was the model who posted the picture of her stomach after giving birth a few days later?  I wrote about "Fat Shaming" and talked about how I didn't think it was fair to flip and attack women who care about their bodies and take care of themselves just like it isn't fair to attack people with weight problems.  I think I said that everyone should be supporting each other, especially women.  No one should be judging anyone else. 

There is one truth that no one can argue with:

Eating right and working out is good for you physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually. 

I have been talking to a lot of my girlfriends with kids and who work out and I have something to say....sometimes we feel like we take heat for putting ourselves first and it's irritating on so many levels because it isn't really putting yourself first when you are talking about taking care of your body.  It's similar to being on an airplane and putting on your oxygen mask before the person sitting next to you.  If you don't take care of yourself, how the hell will you take care of everyone else???

When the No Excuses mother was attacked, I heard a lady on The Bert Show call in and say "I don't have time to work out, I am busy being a better mother."  I wanted to reach through the radio and strangle her.  I wouldn't bother strangling someone like that though because I could tell the type of person she is just by what she was saying.  She is the type of woman who is secretly so jealous of anyone hotter, richer, smarter....all she can do is make ridiculous statements about why they are selfish and wrong, and I would be willing to bet that she actually sits around at home while her kids are off playing.  When you don't work out, you actually have less energy, so....yeah, I guess I am being judgmental when I just said you shouldn't be, but it's more than likely just a truth.  I know her type.  And let me be clear...I don't give a damn what she does.  At the end of the day, people are free to sit around and smoke crack and eat donuts and smoke 3 packs a day, but that person had better be prepared for me to have an opinion if they make judgments about me doing the opposite. 

I am a cheerleader for my friends and if any one of them says they don't have time, I'll bet I could help them find time, and if not every day, a couple to three times a week....and that is better than nothing.  Any of my friends know that they could call me and say "Will you train me?"  I have always said yes.  I have informed anyone about anything they want to know because I believe girls should stick together and wish the best for one another.  I want all of my friends to feel good about themselves.  In fact, the only reason I get preachy about health is because I know how awesome you feel and I want everyone to know what the difference is. 

Working out for an hour is 5 percent of your day, first of all, so anyone who says they don't have time to work out (especially when they stay at home) is full of crap.  I did it, so I know. 

Why you are being a better mother by working out:

  1. When you look better, you feel better. 
  2. When you feel better, you have more energy. 
  3. When you have more energy, you do more for your children and enjoy your time together.
  4. You are teaching your children to be healthy.
  5. You more than likely eat better, so you're also teaching your children about a healthy diet.
  6. If you take them to the childcare, they get to play and socialize.
  7. They learn about good habits, persistence and goals.
  8. They learn that putting your health first actually does serve others.
  9. Working out gives you endorphins that make you happy, and if mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
  10. If you are all of these things and you are married, you'll also be better to your spouse and everyone knows that kids are happy when their parents are happy together.
I don't like women who judge other women for going to the gym and caring about their bodies.  Just because you're jealous and hateful because you don't have the will power or drive doesn't mean that you can make blanket statements about someone else who has proved your excuses wrong.  And just because you can't deal with the fact that you're wrong doesn't mean anyone else should have to listen to your crap. Everyone could say "I don't have time to work out".  Everyone is busy.  Everyone who works out sees straight through a bad, judgmental attitude.  Now if you don't like to work out, you don't want to, don't have the will....just say it.  No one cares and we can all admire you for telling the truth.

My kids get a better mother because I am healthy and not to mention, they'll have me longer.  Hopefully I will be the type of grandmother who can get on the floor an play with my grandbabies, because that's what I want.  I want to be here as long as possible, and while I AM here, I want to be the best me I can be. 

I also want to state this....I always put the gym first in my mind so I get it done, but of course, I understand that there are other priorities. If you are consistent, your body can afford to make exceptions once in a while.  For example, there have been times when my kids really really really don't want to go to the gym on a particular day.  I have been in the parking lot and said "You really don't want to go?" And I have left and gone home, not because I wanted to, but because they are always so cooperative and if they really want to go home, we go home.  We go home and snuggle or watch a movie and play instead.  I am being a good mother because I am trying to use my best judgment in each scenario.  Being a mother, especially, is about juggling....but you have to put yourself first so you CAN JUGGLE. 

Trust me.  If anyone knows about juggling, it's me.  Do I drop the ball sometimes?  Yes, but I always work out, which gives me the energy to pick them back up. 






No comments:

Post a Comment