Monday, April 7, 2014

Sarah Waters

I have BEGGED people to read Fingersmith by Sarah Waters over and over and I don't know one person who has actually listened to me. It's really a shame. It's one of my favorite books, not just for the story, but because of the way it's crafted. It's modeled after a Gothic novel and I promise, it isn't a waste of time. It grabs you immediately.

Waters is Welsh and she is a lesbian, so many of her protagonists are also lesbians.  Her novels are usually set in the Victorian era, but the one I just started reading is set in the 40's.  They are creepy and full of suspense.  I mean, seriously....what about what I am saying does NOT sound enticing?  Read them.  You will thank me. 

Anyway, I am reading The Little Stranger now. So far, very good.  I ordered Tipping the Velvet and I'll read that next.  For a few years now, well, since graduating from college, I have read from the list "1001 Books to Read Before You Die", and Waters is all over it, although I first discovered her in a Contemporary Fiction Craft class at Georgia State. 

 

I have been blah lately....that's usually a clue to myself to read and learn some more because I am bored.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment