Friday, April 4, 2014

A Place in My Mind


There's a place that exists in my mind that is between a dream and reality.  It's a perfect place.  I watch everything real with my eyes, soak in my surroundings with my senses, and I imagine and dream about something else that's inspired by both. I cannot drift too far left into my imagination or I fail in reality, and I cannot drift too far right into reality without feeling numb and uninspired. It is a constant struggle to find a perfect balance between focused and free.  If I dive completely into my imagination and my feelings and thoughts, my writing is at its best, but then I feel like I fail at the rest of life.  And if I stand on the diving board, doing nothing...

A few weeks ago, I made some decisions.  I decided to focus on my job, my kids, and the list of to-do's that I can never seem to get under long enough to feel any kind of relief.  I decided that reality is what matters right now.  I have to focus on the practical and that means that my feelings for anyone or anything other than the tasks of each day simply aren't important to me. 

I now feel nothing.  I can't write and I am not happy like this.  Why must I feel everything or nothing?  I would rather feel pain than nothing.  If you're bleeding, at least you know you're alive. 

I have been on an emotional rollercoaster for the last two years and I have experienced a crazy range of emotions. Could I have burned out?  Could I be tired of chasing and digging and pondering and feeling?  Shouldn't a human being be happy when emotionally stagnant?  Why aren't I?  When someone asks how I am and I don't even have an emotion to direct me to an answer, why does that bother me?

Fine.  Bored.  Plain.  Uninspired.  Blah.  Not words that describe me.  And yet that's what I would say to someone right now.   MEH.  I am not even curious about anything right now.

Time to jump down a hole I suppose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment