Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Respect Your Elders



Lately I have been running into uncomfortable situations with older women who are maybe in their 60's or 70's, I am guessing that's how old they are. 

Before I go any further, I am not categorizing anyone in this post, because I don't do that.  There are rude people at all ages. I will also state that I tend to get along with older people because I am always trying to learn what they have learned in their life.  I am always curious about their experiences and opinions.

BUT......

In the last week, I have been on a machine at the gym (using it, obviously, intently) and twice, these older women have come up, stared at me, stalked my machine, and made rude remarks about how I should hurry up.  Specifically they said "Are you done yet"?  Well, at first, I was shocked.  I was shocked because I am not one of these people that doesn't know about or follow proper gym etiquette.  I take a reasonable break between reps because that's what you are supposed to do, and then I go back at it.  I mean, trust me....I am not messing around at the gym.  I have limited time and I never goof off.  So anyway, after being shocked, I walked away and I was irritated and angry that they had had the nerve to approach me like that when they were basically as rude as kindergarteners not wanting to take a turn.  Of course, I didn't say anything to them about how rude they are, but I really wanted to.  I wanted to say "Is my ass on the machine?  Then I am not finished.  Park your butt over there and get out of my face."  I wouldn't have been in the wrong for saying anything, but I started thinking deeper into why this is happening and it makes me sad. (If I am right, that is.)

The generations before us, although they seem more human to me the older I get, are definitely different and up until recently, have lived in a slower world.  They lived in a simpler world.  We have to respect what they must be feeling right now.  If I am overwhelmed, overworked, overstressed, tired, emotionally strung-out, annoyed by mean and idiotic people, imagine how they must feel.  We live in a busy world.  It's changed in the last 10 years dramatically, so much that it's almost too much for me and I am 33. We live in a spoiled, indulgent, me me me society and honestly, it's a shift from our parents' and grandparents' generations.  I really can't imagine how hard it is to be an older person nowadays.  Not only do children not have respect for their elders anymore, but my generation assumes that everything should just be handed to them.  We are spoiled.  We walk around staring at our phones and don't even look up and acknowledge people anymore, we talk about sex and drugs and things that used to be taboo, and while the world keeps moving faster and faster, older peoples' bodies are slowing down.  They have to be aware of it, and there is a good chance that they have begun to resent younger people for not only being rude and self-indulgent, but for being able to keep up.  Youth is wasted on the young, for sure.

I respect my elders, even the grouchy ones.  I respect my grandma for getting upset and wanting to throw me into AA when I get drunk once in a blue moon.  She worries because she is older and she loves me. I respect my grandpa for everything he has done in his life to put me on this earth and for the letters he writes to me....by hand.  I respect my mother because she deserves it, I respect my father because he deserves it.  I respect people who are older than me because that's what I was taught to do.  It's pretty simple.....respect your damn elders, even if they're grouchy.  It isn't cool to yell at a grandma.....plain and simple. 

As far as the grouchy, rude women at the gym.....there is no excuse for their behavior.  They clearly felt like their age entitled them to the machine more than mine did, but I will continue to respect people who are older than me and show them that we aren't all assholes. 

Note....Mamaw and Papaw, I am sorry I said Assholes.


No comments:

Post a Comment