Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wild Card

We have that channel “Boomerang” for the kids.  If you don’t have it, you need it.  You can watch The Smurfs, Snorks, Scooby-Doo, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, The Jetsons, The Flintstones—you get the point.  It plays cool cartoons that don’t include Spongebob Squarepants.  Has anyone actually tried following that stupid cartoon?  I watch and I concentrate really hard and I end up saying “Huh?  Why are they there?  What happened? I thought he was making pizza under water, now he’s on the moon?”  The kids think there’s something wrong with me because I can’t follow a cartoon.  I think there’s something wrong with the people who are making it.  What are they smoking?  I’m not going to write about cartoons today, but I started thinking about one of my favorites when I was watching with the kids recently.  Remember Gummi Bears?  That was the best cartoon and I still know all of the words to the intro.  Remember Gummyberry Juice?  They would drink it when being chased by an ogre and they would immediately gain speed, bounce, and strength?  I need some Gummiberry juice.  Maybe I should call up Grammi Gummi.  Or maybe Red Bull is the same thing. 
The reason I say that I need Gummiberry juice is because I am tired and it’s mainly due to my big twins’ constant competing and arguing with one another.  They sound like a couple that has been married for 98 years and they are so sick of each other that they would rather jump out of a window than be near the other.  They sound like they are gnawing off each other’s faces when they speak.  It’s awful.  I am so tired of it and I have tried every angle, every Dr. Phil-ish theory, every punishment, it doesn’t seem to matter.  Maybe for a day they'll get along, and of course we praise them for it, but it doesn’t help because they’re back at it the next day.   It’s completely exhausting, frustrating, and it sets a negative tone in the house.  The little twins are so sweet to each other, but I fear that they will start imitating the big twins and I will have to deal with it again.  That is not an option.  I can’t listen to fighting anymore.  A normal amount is to be expected, but not this.
Yesterday we were heading home from running an errand and they got into it, yet again.  Lindsey was accusing Logan of lying about her at school.  He told a friend that she has a nasty habit, and I can vouch for her that it was in fact a lie, and Logan denied it.  I am playing referee as usual when it dawned on me……I can split them up in school!  They are young for their age, they sometimes act immature in comparison to the other children, and it’s an option!  Academically, Logan gets very high A’s and one B, every quarter.  Lindsey gets more B’s than A’s and I have been concerned that she’ll fall behind due to her talking and fluttering.  She’s extremely focused on dance, but not as interested in school.  Also, she looks older than she is and this scares me because she’ll be 14 entering high school and won’t have the emotional maturity that she could have a year older and I don’t want boys messing with her.  Socially Logan acts more immature and goofy than Lindsey, but at the same time Logan would be bored repeating a grade.  I do not want to hold one of them back because I don’t want one of them to feel bad about themselves, but this is the last year that they’re at their current school.  Next year they change schools, so now would be the time to do it.  There are some pro's to them being at the same school and in the same grade, I would say more than being split up IF they could get along.  I’d like to know that Logan is protecting Lindsey and that Lindsey is watching out for Logan.  But if they hate each other and create problems for each other at school, is that more damaging than splitting them up? 
I don’t think that this is something that I can seriously consider, but I can threaten it.  Maybe it was mean, but something has to change.  I threatened it during the argument and we continued to talk about it when we got home.  Lindsey was crying and looked at me like she hated me.  Logan liked the idea, until he knew that he could possibly be the one staying in 4th grade another year. 
It may have been mean, but I am happy to report that they had a slumber party in his room last night and came down with smiles on their faces for breakfast.  This may be better than the “You’re getting coal in your stocking” card. 

No comments:

Post a Comment