Monday, May 12, 2014

Say What You're Saying

“The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche.

I recently had what you might call a "run-in" with a woman who is rude, bossy, and extremely condescending.  Basically, I was completely mute, a rude comment was directed out of the blue toward me, and I pretty much ignored it and looked bewildered.  It irritated me, but I brushed it off like everyone else must do where this person is concerned.  It's just how the person is and I knew I shouldn't take it personally because she's stupid.  However, I started to think more about that statement that was comfortably racing through my head....."it's just her personality, it's just how she is".  Why do a-holes get a pass for being a-holes just because their personality sucks more than 95% of the time?  I mean, how much sense does that make?  We come to expect it, so therefore, we accept it?  I do not!  It is NOT OK.  I realize that we accept it because there's nothing we can do about it, but what if we all started saying something rather than ignoring it?

What is so damn irritating about condescension is that it's just a coward's way of going as far as they can while trying not to get punched in the face. If you want to say something, just say it.  I can either ignore you, laugh at you, punch you, never speak to you again, or tell you why your opinion does or doesn't matter to me. But when you make a "joke" or a comment that you "don't mean" and you can conveniently take back and call me crazy when I confront you, it leaves me confused.  No, I am sorry, I won't be condescending.....what I mean is, I am not confused, I mean that you're smiling and I want to punch your face anyway. 

I want to tell someone next time they make a crappy joke or behave in a rude, condescending manner......."Just stop dancing around what you're 'not really saying' and just say it."  It would also be awesome if the person said WHY they are saying it, but women who are condescending are just jealous anyway and there's no way they'll ever admit to THAT, so it will never happen.  Can you imagine that though?

Straight-Up Beotch: I really don't like you because you're (Insert any adjective: smarter, skinnier, prettier, funnier, hotter, cuter, stronger)  than me.  So what do you have to say about that?

Me: I respect your opinion, now kiss my (Insert Adjective: smart, skinny, pretty, funny, hot, cute, strong) ass.


See how that works?  No condescension involved.  Just two girls, being upfront, and choosing to completely dismiss each other.

Even though you have been given free speech, it isn't okay to try to hurt people and make them feel bad.  You aren't allowed to just go around calling someone fat, too skinny, a bad mom, a bad cook, ugly, and so on, just because you feel like it.  However, you're saying it anyway with your condescension, so stop hiding behind your stupid smile and your ridiculous laugh and say it.

All of this is unrealistic though, so really, the problem for someone who treats you this way should really only be this: that you don't care about what they think or say.  You're fabulous and anyone who knows you understands everything about you.  Nothing says Screw You like indifference. So I guess we're back to the beginning-this is why a-holes get a pass....because we take the high road. 

They still suck. 







No comments:

Post a Comment