Friday, December 18, 2015

Jingle Ball

I had a panic attack at a Justin Beiber concert last night. 

Yes, I just said that.

I took my daughter and her friend because I love her very much and I am accustomed to doing things that I don’t particularly like to do because I want her to be happy and healthy.  All mothers who love their children are.  I got fat when I was pregnant.  I had a needle stuck in my spine and went through a scary surgery.  I changed a thousand dirty diapers and wiped snotty noses.  I went to a Beiber concert.  As a mother, you don’t think twice.  

I kind of knew I wasn’t going to particularly enjoy a concert that included Nick Jonas and like 5 other people I have never heard of, but what I wasn’t expecting is that I would walk in and feel like I was going to die.  We were very very high in Philip’s arena and it dawned on me that I have only been in the box when I have gone to Hawk’s games, so I had no idea what it felt like to be so high on such a steep mountain of people.   I have never been afraid of heights, but for whatever reason, this terrified me.  I started getting dizzy and nauseous and couldn’t breathe and the show hadn’t even started.  I was walking to my seat as if I were on the edge of a cliff because it felt gravity was pulling me into the giant pit.  I was the only person sitting down and looking like I was going to die.  Lindsey had a great time.  Her friend had a great time.  I looked really old and miserable.  





It was 4 HOURS LONG, so by the time Beiber came on stage, I really was ecstatic to see him because I knew it was almost over.  I almost cheered for Beiber.  I really almost did.   

I saw tons of alcohol being sold when I first walked into the arena and I thought “That’s really odd.  I guess the booze are sold for our sanity?”  Then I wondered how many parents might be driving their kids home under the influence. But by the time Beiber was on stage, I realized that adults WITHOUT children surrounded me.  That fact really sunk in after the older, dancing, drunken woman who was just above me slung her beer….all over my head. 

To see Lindsey that happy and excited, even for just a moment in her life, made the claustrophobia, the fear of falling, the loud, unrelenting teenage shrieks, the bad music, the horrific lyrics, the beer....on my head....totally worth it. 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment