Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Never Marry a Bad Travel Companion


I was flying from Atlanta to Milwaukee last week and I found a seat at the gate across from a couple, they were probably around 60 years old, who were just about to enjoy some delicious sandwiches from Jersey Mike’s.  Delicious they were not, I suppose, because as soon as the wife bit into her sandwich, she started scrunching up her face and sticking out her tongue, whining loudly “Pickles!  Pickles!  ACKKKKHHH yuck!  Pickles, the entire sandwich tastes like pickles! PICKLES!!!! PICKLES!!!  They put pickles on my sandwich!!!”  Understand that I don’t make a habit of eavesdropping on conversations, but it was a serious production that I simply could not ignore.  As she waved her hands around and stuck her tongue out for all of Hartsfield-Jackson to see, it became clear that she was attempting to get a reaction, any reaction, out of her husband, who had clearly just committed a cardinal sin.  I thought to myself….

“OKAYYYY, First world problems, lady.  Shut up and eat the stupid sandwich.  No one here but you cares.”  She didn’t find a spider on her sandwich, you know?  It’s a pickle.  There are starving children all over the world who would have been happy to eat the pickle.  She could have simply removed it without the dramatics.  If you don’t want to eat it, princess, you don’t have to.  No one is forcing you.  It’s not Fear Factor for the Ridiculous. 

Then I noticed that while she was having her meltdown, her husband was eating, very robotically.  He has his hands clamped around his sandwich, looking forward at nothing; he was mindlessly chewing.  He looked like MacGyver trying not to make any sudden movements because the sandwich may blow up in his face.  Then I hear her say “I told you!  I told you!  We should have gotten a STANDARD AMERICAN CHEESEBURGER!”  He still didn’t react, meanwhile, I have another thought….

“What the hell is a Standard American Cheeseburger?  You’re not deciding between a stick shift and an automatic, lady, it’s a freaking sandwich!” 

The lady went on for a good five minutes and her husband never once reacted, which was amazing to me because my limit for annoying, spoiled women is 4 minutes, tops.  She finally got up, held her hand out, demanded money and announced that she would be going to buy something else.  Then she dramatically threw her disgusting excuse for a sub sandwich into the trashcan and stormed off. 

I know I shouldn’t have done this, but I couldn’t help it.  I looked at the man and said “She really despises pickles.”

He shrugged his shoulders and said “Wish I had known.” 

Poor soul.  I never want to be with anyone who loses his shit over pickles or anything else just as non-earth shattering.  What a miserable existence. 

Now I am making a lot of assumptions here, but it seemed as if they had been together for a million years.  Why?  Because she flipped out about pickles and he ignored her.  Had they only been married for a few years, he probably would have said “Oh, baby, let me get you a new pickle-free sandwich” to appease her or he would’ve told her to chill out.  If they had only been married for a few years, maybe she would have treated him with respect in public and not like a doormat?  I asked myself—Is this what marriage looks like after 40 years? Do you actually fight over pickles and Standard American Cheeseburgers? Or is it what marriage looks like when you marry someone who sucks?  And did she always suck or did she turn into someone who now sucks because of life or because HE sucks?  And is it possible that after 40 years of being married to one person that your spouse wouldn’t know that you don’t like pickles?  Is it possible that he knew she didn’t like pickles and intentionally pissed her off? Is this what you have to look forward to when you promise to love someone until death?  Passive-aggressive sandwich sabotage and other petty arguments?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don’t know.  But I know that it’s probably not a good idea to walk into a relationship with someone who makes a big deal out of everything.  It will always be your fault and nothing you do will ever make someone like that happy. Plus, they are embarrassing. 

In my opinion, you should always travel with someone on a long trip before you ever decide to get married.  Airports are stressful places, even for people who are generally chill and a million things really can go wrong.  After walking with 100 pounds of luggage on your shoulders, being groped and pushed around in security, and having your water bottle and toiletries taken away, then you have to sit in a tiny ass seat between two stinky people who steal your arm room and drool on your shoulders….if there is anywhere to give someone a test spin, that’s the place.  You can tell a lot about someone’s resilience by the way they wait for their suitcase in baggage claim. 

My thanks go out to the pickle lady who reminded me of what I DON’T want for my life.  I just wish I could ask her what’s on a Standard American Cheeseburger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment